Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Paper Topics Are Not Required

Paper Topics Are Not RequiredI am often asked about paper topics, especially by teachers and parents of new students. My primary advice is this: Never assume that paper topics are standardized assignments.I know of no professional paper topics that have been created in a laboratory. It's impossible to say the total number of different perspectives on a single topic. Sometimes it's better to find a variety of viewpoints to get an opportunity to write in a variety of voices.You should always provide some clear examples of personal experience. This shows readers that you are willing to consider other points of view. A willingness to question the facts of a topic is not always welcomed by the author.When dealing with subjects of basic physics, common sense rules. Use it. However, when writing about subjects such as philosophy, history, economics, politics, social studies, psychology, sociology, etc., it is not a good idea to assume that common sense rules. Common sense is only valid if i t is reasonable.For example, I can write an essay about Aristotle and ancient physics without having to worry about being accused of bias or personal interest. My students would realize that I was objective and unbiased in my analysis of the topic.I also will write a separate essay for each of my students who has multiple perspectives. This allows my students to apply their multiple perspectives to one small subject area at a time.I encourage my students to write about things that they know very well because it is often interesting things that get them excited. What's not interesting to someone else could be very interesting to you. You might think something might be boring to someone else, but I found that to be a waste of time.I also like to use my students' creativity to write essays and projects about children's programs on PBS. I rarely have a student write a paper about a topic that has been addressed many times before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.